pictures and info
on the internet
On this page you will find internet references: links to interesting websites with pictures and info on Impressionism and the impressionist artists. I will also give short info on the contends of the website.
Salons et expositions de groupes 1673-1914 », salons.musee-orsay.fr, un projet du musée d’Orsay et de l’Institut national d’histoire de l’art soutenu par le Ministère de la Culture et de la communication, consulté 27/09/2017 – maintenant.
An excellent database with the catalogues of the Salon and the ‘impressionist’ expositions and others. Possibility to search per artist. Not secured.
The best database with >250.000 pictures. Possibilities to search on artist, art movement, museum, etc. Possibilities to search in alphabetical, chronological order, etc. No advertisements. Please support them! (Not secured.)
many articles, artists, links and sources; In English; I will use this one most of the time
The french pages sometimes offer more information.
Info and images on many artists; download free large images. Searching for pictures is not always synoptic.
Also info and pictures of other art-movements. Doesn’t render many suggestions on less known impressionists; many pictures of the well known impressionists, but the searching is complicated; small advertisements
The Google Art Project with zoom options
possibility to find locations where the Impressionist lived and worked
Very many images with links to sources; possibility of focused searching (for example: Degas drawing horses); not very reliable; limited information.
auction site; sometimes zoom option and large download; a month free trial
auction site; many suggestions
auction site; info on works showed at auctions; many works of the well known Impressionists (also pastels and drawings); but also several works of the lesser known Impressionist; for full access you have to pay
auction site; with zoom options
auction site; zoom option; also unknown impressionists
auction site; searching on artist -> most artists -> info on many works showed at auctions (no pictures) unless you sign in and pay;
auction site; broad offer; not many results; gives signature of the artist
auction site; many results on lesser known impressionists; very small pictures;
Indicating walks in Auvers, Pontoise, Marly, Bougival and Chatou where the impressionist painters have worked.
Extended info on Impressionists like Caillebotte (+expo), Cézanne, Degas, Monet (+expo), Renoir and Seurat (expo) and on related painters like Bazille, Corot, Fatin-Latour and Manet. All in Dutch.
- WGI = www.impressionistgallery.co.uk
A non-commercial site with a lot of info and pictures on impressionism and post-impressionism. Not much info on the less known impressionists.
- www2.culture.gouv.fr (better known as: Joconde)
database of pictures in French musea; not of many lesser known impressionists
- RKD=Netherlands Institute for Art History
info also of unknown impressionists; text also in English; references to the most important dictionaries; info on articles, books and exhibitions concerning an artist; links to ‘marques de collections’ = iR65
only info on the most known impressionists with several large pictures
large database of the Bibliothèque National de France in Paris; references to books, articles and catalogues; no pictures
(also: WebMuseum, Paris; list with names of artists; linking to short info and some pictures)
(only several pictures of the well known Impressionists; overview with thumbnails; option to download big picture)
(info on pigments used in paintings; also of impressionist paintings see)
(part of the Art Institute Chicago) =iR74
(list of artists; linking to works, but often not to a work of the artist, only the named artist is related to the work; most of the works are of Whistler)
Official reference: Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock, James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné, University of Glasgow, 2012, on-line website at http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk.
database of some musea; often there is no picture rendered; no results on many lesser known impressionists
info of many musea
info on impressionism, the artists, the locations and the eight expositions
only in Italien
interesting articles on vanished impressionists; but very broad offer; search option restricted
very colourful; only limited information and small images; many irritating advertisements
alphabetical overview on the first name of the artist; no search option; not much on the less known impressionists; no info about the work; image with mark;
only links to musea; many links don’t work or are just general; no info; no pictures; nothing on the lesser known impressionists
a commercial site for ordering copies; also works of some lesser known Impressionists
(archive of old documents)
auction site; less works than other auction sites; for full access you have to pay; the images are limited in size
auction site; broad offer; not many results
auction site; broad offer; not many results
auction-site; not many results
(auction site; alphabetical overview of many (unknown) artists + search option; restricted pictures; limited info; not secured)
(a vague project; no links to further information; sort of digital art market; in French; not secured)
(many beautiful pictures, but always restricted)
(irritating advertisements and pop-ups; 277 pictures, alphabetical order with restricting texts)
- www.marycassatt.org (446pictures; no information, no date; irritating suggestions for buying reproductions)
(many pictures per decade; with some advertisements)
(many pictures per decade)
(many pictures per decade; also sculptures)
(many pictures per decade; also sculptures; with some advertisements)
(many pictures per decade; also watercolours)
home page with links to major (post-)impressionists; with advertisements
(pictures of Pissarro; with advertisements)
(pictures of Seurat; with advertisements)
- www.magrasku.de (made by Anna V. Greko; with info in German about the 8 ‘impressionist’ expositions and info about the time before and after and many pictures. Not secured.)
- www.getty.edu (by the J. Paul Getty trust. Better known as ‘ULAN‘ = Union List of Artist Names. Option to search for unknown artists with references to sources. Not secured.)
- NYPL digital collections (old pictures)
Collection of the New York Public Library
- Wikipedia.es (A Spanish Wikipedia site about the 8 ‘impressionist’ expositions)
- www.musee-orsay.fr (on the impressionist expositions)
- www.pinterest.com (photo’s from private persons, also of paintings; often badly documented; you have to log in) =iR90
- www.marquesdecollections.fr (French database on artists and about early auctions; also accessible via RKD = iR24). Collections of drawings and stamps by Frits Lugt in 1921 + 1956.
- WikiData.org (database)
- www.familysearch.org (after free registration you can look for information when someone was born etc.)
- www.theartstack.com (also pictures of unknown impressionists; also commercial shop)
- www.oxfordartonline.com // Benezit Dictionary of Artists 2006 (dictionary; for full access you have to log in and pay; not secured)
- www.oxfordartonline.com // Grove Art Online 2003 (Online database with many articles on art; for full acces you have to log in and pay; not secured)
- www.eur.nl (Rotterdamsch leeskabinet and search option international archives)
- Getty Research Institute (apart from ‘ULAN’ (see iR60) summaries of articles, books and lettres)
- ResearchFrick.org (database about American art collectors; not secured)
- www.artic.edu (database of the Art Institute of Chicago; secured) =iR30
(Allgemeines Künstler Lexicon = R81)
- www.van-gogh.fr (also info on: Béliard, Cézanne, Cordey, Guillaumin, Monet, Morisot, Piette, Pissarro, Renoir, Seurat, Sisley, Vignon and related artists like: Corot, Daubigny, Goeneutte, Manet; not secured; with advertisements)
(Paris Auction house)
(online auction house)
(auction house in Paris)
(several pictures with info on several artists; not secured)
- www.wga.hu (web gallery of art)
(old civil archives of Paris; not secured)
- books.google.nl (preview of Theodore Reff: World’s Fair of 1900; retrospective exhibition of French Art 1800-1899)
- fr.muzeo.com (reproduction of paintings with details; secured)
(PDF of the exhibition ‘Impressionnisme dans la vallée d’Oise’ in MCP Pontoise in 2007)
(info on the exhibition ‘Paysages d’eau’ in Musée de Louviers in 2013)
(paintings made in Dieppe and other places in France)
- books.google.com = iR107
- archive.org =R19
- Getty images
- where the artists stood.co.uk =iR20
- jolio.over-blog.com (?)
- kulturarv.dk (art-index Danmark)
- nga.gov (National Gallery of Art Washington)
great translation site
Dutch translation site
search machine rendering librairies where indicated books can be found
great website of the Wildenstein Plattner Institute, rendering several Catalogues Raisonné and other publications, see.
part of wpi (=iR180) showing the Catalogue Raisonné of Berthe Morisot by Bataille & Wildenstein of 1861 (=R100), see also aR2 at the bottom of the main page on Morisot.
page with links to the 4 volumes of the Catalogue Raisonné of Claude Monet by Daniel Wildenstein of 1996 (=R22), see also aR5+6 at the bottom of the main page on Monet.
part of wpi (=iR180) showing the Catalogue Raisonné of Gustave Caillebotte by Marie Berhaut of 1994 (=R102), see also aR4 the bottom of the main page on Caillebotte.
part of wpi (=iR180) showing the Catalogue Raisonné of Gustave Caillebotte by Marie Berhaut of 1978 (=R101), see also aR5 the bottom of the main page on Caillebotte.
page with links to the 2 volumes of the Catalogue Raisonné of Paul Gauguin by Sylvie Crussard of 2002 (=R181), see also aR1-12 at the bottom of the main page on Gauguin.
online publication of the Catalogue Raisonné of Gauguin by Georges Wildenstein and Raymond Cogniat of 1964;=R128
online publication of the older Catalogue Raisonné of Claude Monet by Daniel Wildenstein published from 1974-1991 (=R127), see also aR7-11 at the bottom of the main page on Monet.
page with links to the 3 volumes of the Critical Catalogue of Paintings of Camille Pissarro by Joachim Pissarro and Claire Durand-Ruel snollaerts of 2005 (=R116)
page with links to the 4 volumes of the Catalogue Raisonné in French of Odilon Redon by Alec Wildenstein of 1992-98 (=R182), see also aR2-6 at the bottom of the main page on Redon.
online publication of ‘L’Oeuvre Paint; diographie et catalogue critique’ of Seurat by Henri Dorra and John Rewald of 1959;=R183, see also aR1+2 at the bottom of the main page on Seurat.
page with links to the 2 volumes of the Catalogue Raisonné ‘La Vie et l’oeuvre de Gustave Courbet’ by Robert Fernier of 1977/8 (=R110)
part of wpi (=iR180) showing the Catalogue Raisonné of Jean Béraud by Patrick Offenstadt of 1999 (=R180)
page with links to the 2 volumes of the Catalogue Raisonné of Manet by Rouart & Wildenstein of 1975 (=R120)
Feilchenfeldt, Walther, Jayne Warman and David Nash: online catalogue raisonné, The Paintings, Watercolors and Drawings of Paul Cezanne.