Please do not quote from this webpage, which is under construction.
The information is incomplete and maybe partly incorrect.
Meta-Impressionism / other exhibitions
Apart from the Salon and their own ‘impressionist’ expositions, auction sales were a way to promote oneself as an artist and to sell art-works. The most used place to do so, was Hôtel Drouot. Hôtel Drouot was an auction house owned by the state (R3; R5,p102). The sales here gave a good indication of what a work was worth on the art-market (R5,p102). At Hôtel Drouot there were also (posthumous) sales of collections of art-collectors and of deceased artists.
At first I will render a chronological overview of important sales at Hôtel Drouot. After that I will focus on some sales that were important for the ‘impressionist’ partakers held in 1875 and 1877. It’s remarkable that the Impressionists used three times the option of an auction at Hôtel Drouot in the first years of their expositions. It didn’t stimulate the group identity. And when that wasn’t important, but only the opportunity of selling your works, why organize your own exhibition at all, when this opportunity is at hand?
Some of the paintings of Pissarro realised comparatively high prices (R312,p27).
There had been an auction with good sales for Degas, Monet, Pissarro, Sisley (R2,p105).
Auction of 73 works of Monet, Morisot, Renoir, Sisley initiated by Renoir; poor sales, average 157 franc (R3,p192; R2,p146; R31; R30; R5,p90)
auction organized by Renoir of 45 works of Renoir, Caillebotte (4x), Pissarro and Sisley; prices were disastrously low, average 169 franc; Legrand was the expert (R2,p244+262; R5,p101); R31; R30).
4 works by Caillebotte: CR34+35+53+64 (R102,p293)
Hôtel Drouot auctions, an overview of sales of artists:
At Hôtel Drouot there were several (posthumous) sales of the collections of the partakers of the ‘impressionist’ expositions and of other artists.
- 1884/02/02-04? posthumous auction of works of Edouard Manet; average sales 733,57 franc (R5,p138; R39,p299).
- 1886/03/15, tableaux + 24 par Lépine, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1242132p)
- 1891, Februar: auction of 30 works of Gauguin; total sale 9860 franc (R36,p81).
- 1895/02/18: auction of 45 paintings and 25 drawings of Gauguin; total sale 2986 (R36,p81).
- 1897/12/13+14: posthumous auction of the collection of Brandon at Hôtel Drouot (aR4).
Hôtel Drouot auctions, an overview of sales of art-collectors:
At Hôtel Drouot there were several (posthumous) sales of the collections of art-collectors and general auctions, including works of the ‘impressionists’.
- 1873/04/07, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue de la collection de Laurent-Richard, with works of Delacroix, Corot, Dupré, Rousseau and other pre-impressionists, with engravings and extended information. (link to PDF at archive.org = iR19)
- 1874/01/13, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1241564q)
- 1874/02/07, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue de collection M. le Barbier. (link to iR40//bpt6k1241492p)
- 1874/03/26, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue of the collection of the widow of C. Dutilleux, with works of Delacroix, Corot and other pre-impressionists and with a biography by Gustave Colin. (link to PDF at archive.org = iR19)
- 1876/05/10, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to PDF iR19)
- 1878/02/25: tableaux modernes, collection G. Arosa (link to PDF dn.790006.ca.archive.org; =iR19)
- 1878/06/5+6 auction Hoschedé collection, including Monet (16x), Sisley (13x), Pissarro (9x), sold for disastrously low prices, average 112 franc (R3; R31; R2,p246; R5,p109).
- 1878/04/29 auction Fauré collection with impressionist works; he had to sell back his paintings because the biddings were to low (R3; R5,p109).
- 1880/02/02, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue de tablaeux modernes; Auction of the M. Hadengue-Sandras collection. (link to iR40//bpt6k1240837j)
- 1881/05/14, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue of the benefit auction sale for the composer Cabaner. (link to iR40//bpt6k1244587n)
- 1883/02/16, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1244001d)
- 1889/04/16, tableaux modernes… (collection M. B.), Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1244124r)
- 1893/03/20, Hôtel Drouot. Postumous catalogue de collection de M. Ch. Ricada, (link to iR40//bpt6k1246846c)
- 1894/03/18: posthumes auction of the collection of Duret (R5,p194)
- 1894/04/16, Hôtel Drouot. Posthumous exposition de la collection de M. A. Nunes. (link to iR40//bpt6k1246138d)
- 1894/05/25, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12459450)
- 1894/06/02 posthumes auction of the Père Tanguy collection (R5,p195; R3).
- 1896/02/22, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12423220)
- 1896/04/17, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1246489r)
- 1897/12/04, tableaux modernes …, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12461088)
- 1901/04/25, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue de tableaux modernes; auction d’un amateur (=Depeaux; R22III,p414). (link to iR19)
- 1901/04/29, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue de tableaux modernes; (ia801902.us.archive.org; =iR19)
- 1901/05/20, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12475457)
- 1903/03/23, tableaux, aquarelles & dessins, Paris (from several collections (link to iR40//bpt6k1247852d)
- 1903/12/23, tableaux … (collection M. B.), Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1246932p)
- 1905/04/10, Catalogue de tableaux modernes (collection feu de Louis Flornoy + Mme Marechal), Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12531736)
- 1907/04/18, Hôtel Drouot. Catalogue de collection M. A. Dachery. (link to iR40//bpt6k1246639j)
- 1907/04/18, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1246339h)
- 1908/02/18, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12458996)
- 1909/02/06, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k1250103m)
- 1910/11/11, “Collection de M. Albert Bernier.” In Database of Modern Exhibitions (DoME). European Paintings and Drawings 1905-1915. Last modified Aug 3, 2020. http://exhibitions.univie.ac.at/exhibition/1249 =iR261;iR40; auction of 58 works by 36 artists, including Caillebotte, Cals, Gauguin, Guillaumin, Pissarro, Renoir, Vignon.
- 1911/03/08, Hôtel Drouot. Posthumous auction catalogue of Alexis Rouart. (link iR40//bpt6k1251029t)
- 1911/03/10, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR40/bpt6k1250834k)
- 1911/03/15, “Tableaux Modernes. Aquarelles – Pastels – Dessins.” In Database of Modern Exhibitions (DoME). European Paintings and Drawings 1905-1915. Last modified Sep 8, 2020. http://exhibitions.univie.ac.at/exhibition/959 =iR261;iR40.
- 1913/03/12, tableaux … (collection Mme veuve S.), Paris (link to iR40//bpt6k12500535)
- 1923/06/07, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR19)
- 1923/06/16, tableaux modernes, Paris (link to iR19)
My main sources the catalogues, see links. Other main sources are Moffett (R2), Walther (R3), Denvir (R5), Braun (R30), Raeburn (R31) and the Catalogues Raisonnées of Monet (R22), Caillebotte (R102), Pissarro (R116). For other general references (=R) see. For other references to internet sites (=iR) see. Note: the aR.. sources refer to the additional references noted at the bottom of the main pages on the mentioned artists.
Citation: Please do not quote from this webpage, which is under construction. The information is incomplete and maybe partly incorrect.