Alfred Sisley (1839-1899)
Sisley painted several series:
During his life Sisley often painted a same theme or object several times. Mostly from (slightly) different viewpoints.
- In 1873-76 he paints at least five times the aqueduct of Marly-le-Roi. See also 1874-
- In 1875-76 he paints a serie of the wateringplace (L’Abreuvoir) in Marly-le-Roi. See 1874-
- In 1876 he paints a serie of the floodings in Port-Marly. See also
- In 1877 he paints a serie of at least five of the bridge in Sèvres.
- In 1891-96 he often paints the riverside of the Loing.
A small mini-serie within that is the painting of Cabins along the Loing.
- In 1897 he paints a series of the cliffs of Penarth and Lady’s Cove in Wales.
Series of the church of Moret-sur-Loing:
In 1893-94 Sisley made a serie of 14 works (12 mentioned in the CR) of the church of Moret-sur-Loing. The church is in 25, Rue de N >. See here for an actual picture of the Notre-Dame de la Nativité. Special about this serie was that he mostly choose the same viewpoint. It’s nice to compare this serie with the serie Monet made in 1892-94 of the Rouen Cathedral.
Series of the bridge at Moret-sur-Loing:
In 1887-93 Sisley painted many times the bridge at Moret-sur-Loing. Partly from different viewpoints, partly from (almost) the same viewpoint. In his pictures he tries to catch the influence of different sunlight and weather conditions. It’s nice to compare them with Monet’s series of the London bridges.